Historyzine 001: Prelude to the War of the Spanish Succession

Windows: iTunes 1-click subscribe

The first episode of Historyzine features a review of the podcast, History According to Bob and a look at the phrase, ‘burning the candle at both ends.’
My featured subject at the moment is the ‘War of the Spanish Succession.’
In this episode we look at the 3 wars preceding this one and get some idea of the balance of power in Europe at the end of the 17th century.

1st Duke of Marlborough

Sources for the War of the Spanish Succession

If you wish to comment upon this podcast then please send feedback through the site http://historyzine.com

or, to send a form email visit this page http://historyzine.com/contact/

This entry was posted in Historyzine and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Historyzine 001: Prelude to the War of the Spanish Succession

1. cloudmountain says:

Great work Jim! Just finished listening to # 001 and you hooked me with all those “We’ll get to that later.” Will be listening in. Like hearing about other history sites as well. I’ve been getting into history lately myself, or at least the local history of my small city, via the NY Times. Have just started this, so the text links aren’t set up yet and only one sound links, but want to make recordings of all of the local (historical) news I can find:

Best of luck with your Historyzine! β€”Alan

2. Caeristhiona says:

Hooray for Jim! Great job podcasting. πŸ˜€ Of course, I’ve been listening to your podcasts for that *other* site for a while.

Can’t wait for the next one!

Er…is it possible to subscribe to this one in iTunes yet?

3. admin says:

Yes, it is in Itunes.
    I’ll put the link on here soon with fancy Itunes graphic etc but here’s the quick and dirty version: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=268685150

4. Caeristhiona says:

Hooray! πŸ˜€ I have subscribed. Your current topic is one of my favorite wars in history — which statement sounds very odd now that I say it. But truly, it’s a great period. Good choice! You really bring it alive.

5. admin says:

Well, your statement doesn’t sound odd to me but I suppose it is odd compared to the more usualy reaction when I tell people I’m interested in this war. They sort of wince, crease their forehead, stare off into the middle distance for a moment or two and then make some sort of non-committal noise. I think so many people know so little of this war. In Britain f’rinstance it became known as Marlborough’s war and when Marlborough (John Churchill) fell from favour then any mention of this war was met with little enthusiasm. You’ve read some Macaulay so you’ll have some idea of the Whig view of Marlborough’s role in the war. The recognition of his genius is very grudging indeed.
    I suspect this war is rather more prominent in some of the Austrian and Dutch histories. Hopefully we’ll get some Austrian and Dutch people listening so they can let us know.

6. anna says: